It is recorded that by about 1620 this defence bastion was very strongly built by the Portuguese. It was named by them as Sao Iago.
The Portuguese had named this bastion as Conceycao, which meant “the pure conception.” The Dutch originally identified as the Middle Point.
This bastion was named by the Portuguese as Sao Antonio (St. Anthony’s). The Dutch first named it the Zee Punt (Sea Bastion).
The Fortification built by the Portuguese centred round the Black Fort. It is believed that it was so named because this area was
This bastion has been named after the hometown of Commander Wilhelm Jacobs Coster who led the Dutch conquest of Galle Fort.
This bastion is named after the Roman God Aurora. It is believed that it was so named because it is the point
It has been named after the hometown of the first clergyman of the Dutch Reformed Church who arrived in Galle in 1641,
This bastion is seen on the exploratory map of Galle Fort which was drawn by chief engineer Reimer in 1790.
During the Dutch period it had been named Neptune ‘s Bastion. In British period maps it is marked as Neptune Bastion.
Clippen means jutting into the sea and burg means village. It has obviously been named due to its setting.
In the past it had also been known as Visser’s Hoek and Viaggeklip Bastion. According to J.W. Heide, the Dutch flag had been hoisted here by 1733.
Aeolus means the sea breeze. It is believed that it was so named because the Dutch Naval Commander’s official residence
This is also found in Reimer’s map of Galle Fort (1790). It is believed that it was named Fishmark because fishing craft could be well
This is also marked in Reimer’s map of Galle Fort (1790). It is believed that was named due to its close proximity to the Dutch Commander’s