DUTCH REFORMED CHURCH
The Dutch Reformed Church actuated on 04th July,1752 is an important historical construction situated in Galle Fort. The construction work of this building was carried on under the supervision of Mr. Abraham Antonius the superintendent of the carpenters who were engaged in ship building at the Galle harbour. This Church bas built at the expense of Mr. Casparis Jong, Galle Commandeer as a thanks offering to God in celebration of the birth of a daughter to his daughter who had that child after a long time. His daughter Adriana Johana was christened in this Church on 24th August, 1755.This Church is built on a cross shaped base according to the architecture in building Dutch Churches. Therefore, this church in known as “Cross Church” (Kruiskerk in Dutch). The gable at the front of this building made in a pattern, which is not seen in any other synchronous building, is a salient feature.
The death bodies of officers attached to Dutch East India Company and their family members were deposited in small cabins underground the Church premises. Details of deceased are written on those numerous plaques laid flat on the floor, inside the Church. Dutch considered important that the bodies of dead reformed be buried in the Reformed Churches or within those premises believed as closer places to heaven. The last burial inside the Church is said to have taken place in 1863. Mostly the high officers had the privilege of placing a monumental plaque inside the Church. The old organ in the Church is one brought from Denmark in early 18th century. The organ was operated with air pumped in manually by Portuguese servants. The last operator was Frederik Pieter Schools who operated the organ in 1930 decade.