It has been named after the hometown of the first clergyman of the Dutch Reformed Church who arrived in Galle in 1641, namely, the Rev.Anhenrio Husaivers.
By 1760, it had 6 canons installed.
After the original lighthouse in Galle Fort was destroyed by fire, the new lighthouse which is 92 feet high was erected here in 1939. Bunkers had been built around the lighthouse during the Second World War. They have been removed sometimes ago.
Near the lighthouse there is a flight of steps leading to the beach where there is a bathing spot. During the British period, it was used as the Ladies Bathing Place.
There is a gunpowder magazine close to this bastion, facing the road.