It is recorded that by about 1620 this defence bastion was very strongly built by the Portuguese. It was named by them as Sao Iago.
On 4 th August 1667 it was renamed by the Dutch as the Zon (Sun) Bastion. On this occasion the first canon shots fired as a guard of honour from this bastion was in honour of the fiancé of the Dutch Governor Hester D. Solomin Razikloff Van Govassas.
In 1697 the base of the bastion was further strengthened. By about 1760, there were about 15 canons installed on this bastion.