State Minister of National Heritage, Performing Arts and Rural Arts Promotion Hon. Vidura Wickremanayake visited the office of the Galle Heritage Foundation on 2nd January 2021, and had a discussion with the relevant officials.
Among those who participated in the discussion were :-
- State Minister for Fertilizer Hon. Mohan P. de Silva
- Member of Parliament Hon. Isuru Dodangoda
- Mayor of Galle Mr. Priyantha Sahabandu
- Chairman of the Galle Heritage Foundation Mr. Parakrama Dahanayake
- Nuwan J. Wedasingha, Deputy Inspector General of Police, Galle District
- Wasantha Alahakoon, Assistant Director of Archaeology, Southern Province
- Engineer Mr. V.M.K.G. Siriwardena, Additional Project Director, Strategic Cities Development Programme
- Nilan Cooray, Consultant, Strategic Cities Development Programme
- Sunil Dahanayake, Director of the Galle Heritage Foundation.
The Hon. Minister gave instructions to all the officials to give their fullest co-operation to maintain the World Heritage Galle Fort in such a manner that its outstanding heritage value will be fully projected.
Following the discussion, the Hon. Minister also participated in a field tour of Galle Fort. During this tour, he visited the Moon Bastion, the Star Bastion and the Black Fort of the Galle Fort, the National Museum, the Marine Archaeology Museum and the Visitor Centre of the GHF.
The Hon. Minister advised all the officials to work with dedication towards maintaining this valuable monument and to keep him informed of any obstacles that they face in this regard.