Service Buildings

Ware House Building

The warehouse for storing merchandise belonging to Dutch East India Company was built by continuously connecting the rampart from Klu Kotuwa to Sun Tower. It served a dual purpose having been used as the warehouse and as well as part of the rampart. Gateway to Fort appears as an entrance to a tunnel through the warehouse which had been used only to enter into and exit from Fort during the Dutch period. At present, it is used as the main gateway. Either side of the gateway is two flights of steps to enter the upper story of the warehouse. Within the gateway are two doors to enter the storerooms on the ground floor. The commencement and the end of usage of this warehouse are uncertain but few stone slabs carved with years 1671,1672 and 1676 are seen fitted at several places therein. The store at the left side of the building was used to keep sawn timber, cowrie shells and food items while the other side was used to store merchandise required for shipping such as salt, pepper, etc., It is in this part the present Marine Museum is housed. During the mid 19th century, the British removed the small portholes of the building and fitted larger windows for ventilation and used the building as the Court and the  Land Registry. In the course of conservation activities carried out in the decade 1990, those windows were replaced with portholes reminding the Dutch era.

POST OFFICE BUILDING
This building situated in front of the Governor’s mansion facing the Church Street had been used as two living quarters during the time of Dutch as the official residence of the Administrative Officer and that of the Office Assistant. The same building had been used as Food Store during the British era in the 19th century. The office of Dutch East India Trade affairs was housed in this building. Administrative matters concerning officers attached to Dutch East India Company stationed in Galle were handled by the Payment Office and it consisted of nine staff members including bookkeepers and clerks. Later it was used as Garrison Library and thereafter as the Galle Library. Trade Office was in charge of all trade affairs and matters concerning the stores. After 1915 the building had been made use of for the Telegraph Office and thereafter as the Main Post Office, Galle. After the Main Post Office was shifted to Galle town, this is being maintained as a Sub Post Office.

CLOCK TOWER
This clock tower being a representative symbol of Galle can be identified as the tallest clock tower in the island. This was constructed in the year 1883 according to a plan made by an Engineer named John Henry Gues Landon in commemoration of the first Ceylonese who obtained the F.R.C.P medical degree from University of London (1822-1903). A great donor and Mudliar Mr. Samson De Abrew Rajapaksha who lived in Kosgoda donated the clock here.
Earlier there was a belfry built with stones at this place that was removed in 1879 and the clock tower of a height 25.3 Meters was constructed.

STOREKEEPER’S RESIDENCE
(Regional Office of Archeological Department)
The main objective of Portuguese in constructing this Fortress was to keep their merchandise in safe custody and to exercise control over the inhabitants. Official residences of chief administrative officers were built in the surrounding vicinity centering the warehouse in order to keep a close observation of the aspects they considered important. One who would sit at the front veranda erected with pillars in the present Regional Office of Archeological Department will have a clear view of both ends of the warehouse. This may have been used as the Storekeeper’s official residence and the Office as well.

WAREHOUSE
The warehouse for storing merchandise belonging to Dutch East India Company was built by continuously connecting the rampart from Klu Kotuwa to Sun Tower. It served a dual purpose having been used as the warehouse and as well as part of the rampart. Gateway to Fort appears as an entrance to a tunnel through the warehouse which had been used only to enter into and exit from Fort during the Dutch period. At present, it is used as the main gateway. Either side of the gateway is two flights of steps to enter the upper story of the warehouse. Within the gateway are two doors to enter the storerooms on the ground floor. The commencement and the end of usage of this warehouse are uncertain but few stone slabs carved with years 1671,1672 and 1676 are seen fitted at several places therein. The store at the left side of the building was used to keep sawn timber, cowrie shells and food items while the other side was used to store merchandise required for shipping such as salt, pepper, etc., It is in this part the present Marine Museum is housed. During mid 19 th century, the British removed the small portholes of the building and fitted larger windows for ventilation and used the building as the Court and the Land Registry. In the course of conservation activities carried out in the decade 1990, those windows were replaced with portholes reminding the Dutch era.

REGIONAL OFFICE OF ARCHEOLOGICAL DEPARTMENT

The main objective of Portuguese in constructing this Fortress was to keep their merchandise in safe custody and to exercise a control over the inhabitants. Official residences of chief administrative officers were built in the surrounding vicinity centering the warehouse in order to keep a close observation of the aspects they considered important. One who would sit at the front veranda erected with pillars in the present Regional Office of Archeological Department will have a clear view of both ends of the warehouse. This may have been used as the Storekeeper’s official residence and the Office as well.

You are donating to : Greennature Foundation

How much would you like to donate?
$10 $20 $30
Would you like to make regular donations? I would like to make donation(s)
How many times would you like this to recur? (including this payment) *
Name *
Last Name *
Email *
Phone
Address
Additional Note
paypalstripe
Loading...