This bastion was named by the Portuguese as Sao Antonio (St. Anthony’s). The Dutch first named it the Zee Punt (Sea Bastion). In 1667 it was officially named by them as the Star Bastion. After it was renamed, the first canon shot was fired by the daughter of the then Dutch Commander of Galle Adrian Ruthas.
There were about 6 canons installed on this bastion.